Friday, December 31, 2010

the blue sky year






I had to take a picture of the sky this morning. True to form, this Oregon winter has been rainy. But today, just in time for New Year's Eve, there is hardly a cloud in the blue, blue sky. A fitting finish to this beautiful year that was two-thousand-ten.

In 2010,
I started this blog... which means everything that I have posted about happened in 2010. : ) 
Through blogging, I have connected with so many like-minded people across the world, and I absolutely love reading all of your blogs. I never dreamed I would have 290 followers... ever. Thank you.

It has been a good, good year.

  • I went on a cruise to Mexico.
  • I was a bridesmaid in my brother's beautiful wedding.
  • My other brother graduated from college
  • I lost my step-grandma to cancer.
  • I had an unusual, productive, and thought-filled summer.
  • I fell in love with old movies.
  • I fell in love with cupcakes.
  • I watched several amazing 2010 movies--most notably 
  • When in Rome, Alice in WonderlandInceptionRobin Hood, Prince of Persia, and TangledIt was a good year for movies.
  • I fell in love with Gregory Peck.
  • I read a lot.
  • I climbed all the way to the top of Mt. St. Helens.
  • I got two new nieces. 
  • I began drawing.
  • I fell even more in love with photography, and bought my DSLR, Lorenzo.
  • I ate countless donuts and didn't gain any weight. : )
  • I got to see my friend and my brother start a relationship that never ceases to amaze, delight, & amuse me.
  • I changed a lot. I am happy and content and excited for the future.... which was not where I was last year.

Even though this year has had days of sobbing, on those days, there were shoulders to sob into and people to hold onto. It has also been one of laughing until my stomach hurts. It has been one of learning to hope. Learning that no matter what, God will come through.
He has been good.

We are having our annual party with a couple other families. It's not a fancy, wear-a-sparkly-dress kind of party... more like a comfy, food-filled, laugh-a-lot, in-the-country kind of party, where the girls watch chick flicks and the guys play strange world-domination board games and then at midnight, everyone gets together and drinks champagne and the guys shoot guns at the moment it turns the new year.

I hope your celebration is wonderful. 
Happy New Year.


19 comments:

  1. Happy New Year Polka Dot!!!
    I always delight in reading your posts, and it sounds as though you've had a great year. Though--as all years must--a little sad too.
    My year has been up and down, side to side and all around! What a year. 2010 is almost over...2011 is just around the corner.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i enjoy your blog polka dot.. :)
    thanks for following mine.
    happy new year

    ReplyDelete
  3. I loved this post, Polka Dot! That sounds like my kinda party. ;)

    Happy New Year, friend! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So now hurry up and get over here! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. sounds like you had an amazing year! i wish i could have gone on a cruise. maybe that should be in my bucket list. :)

    best wishes to you for this new year. have a great day today!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey friend!

    Looks like you DID have a good, good year :)

    Love ya!
    *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  7. glad you had a wonderful year! i have to admit, i loved this year, too :)

    blessings for the new year!
    anna :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Happy New Year! I love reading your posts - and same here, I started blogging this year as well.

    ReplyDelete
  9. champagne????

    Well, I started blogging a year ago, and I've had a total of three blogs over the course of two years!!! hehe

    Happy New Years!
    Manda

    ReplyDelete
  10. *sigh* Oh, to be able to eat doughnuts and not gain weight.... enjoy that while you can.
    Now that I am approaching 30 years old, I have to watch the doughnuts. :(

    ReplyDelete
  11. Happy New Year, Polka Dot! God is good. :) Here's to another year of great blogs! :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Just love your words...love your blog too! :) happy new year to you!!

    ReplyDelete
  13. 2010 was a pretty awesome year. :) Hope you had a great time last night! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Happy New Year! It was a great year for you. I am actually doing a post about my fave movies I've seen this past year.

    This is Gabrielle from Cinderbella's! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. I don't know if I already knew this... but holy moly you're in Oregon?! I'm in southern Oregon (used to be in Portland). I LOVE meeting fellow Oregonian bloggers. Especially ones that love the Lord. Your blog continues to make me smile every day.

    Enjoy the Oregon weather today friend! xo

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love your blog! I'm a new reader, and I'm so seriously happy I stumbled across it! Yippee!

    Sounds like you have had a pretty amazing year! I can't wait to read more in 2011! I'm following! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. The is one peaceful blue sky.

    Blessings in 2011!

    Russ;)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day.