Thursday, December 30, 2010

Casablanca


It's one of those classic movies that books always refer to and movies quote and people talk about. I was not at all sure I would like it, but I needed to see it. 

Remember that time I felt the same way about West Side StoryThat was an unfortunate incident. But at least now I know what every one is talking about, and can barge in on conversations and spew my unpopular opinion.

Anyways.


I liked this movie. A lot. I hadn't seen Humphrey Bogart in anything before, and some of my friends love him, 
and some of them hate him, which made me curious about what my opinion would be.
Well, I love him. He's certainly not drop-dead-gorgeous though. His head...wow. It's (putting it nicely here) unusual.


I tend to get bored/annoyed with movies that have a bunch of political stuff. I like relational drama, not political drama. This definitely had some semi-confusing political stuff (my intelligent sister helped me out),
but it was really interesting and important for the story.

I loved the characters--they were complicated and real and hurting.


Wonderful scene.
The whole movie was touching and dramatic in the kind of way that if you are in the wrong mood, 
you might be "oh, wow, that's stupid/corny/sappy", but if you are in the classic-movies-are-the-best-and-boy-I-wish-I-lived-back-then-when-guys-wore-coats-like-that mood, it makes you weep.


I have heard a lot about how the ending was lame, so I kept waiting for it...but it ended well. I mean, if you wanted {SPOILERS}them to do what was "romantic" and happy, instead of what was right,
I can see where the ending would be disappointing.

So what did you think of it?

22 comments:

  1. LOVE that movie :) one of my favorites :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the movie. And the ending fits the characters. The more romantic, (ie. happy) ending would have been totally out of character and fraudulent.

    Netflix has lots of Bogart movies. You should check them out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Casablanca is one of my favorite Bogart movies!!! Ingrid Bergman is so mysterious, with her accent and all.
    And yes, I wish guys still wore coats like that!!!

    ~Lily

    ReplyDelete
  4. I LOVE this movie! I was able to see one of the buildings used in Casablanca when I was in LA this summer. Along with some of the costumes, and Sam's piano. :)

    ~Ashley

    ReplyDelete
  5. I haven't seen the movie, but I will have to put it on my "to do list, you have now peaked my curiosity." I do LOVE Ingrid Bergman though!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love "Casablanca"! It's the first old movie I ever saw (besides things like Disney movies and "The Sound of Music," that they play on TV often) and the one that completely sucked me into the vintage world. :) It is a little hard to get into at first, but it's even better the second or third time around! Plus, there are tons of great quotes that you can incorporate into your daily life. :) I'm still trying to find a situation where I can say, "Round up the usual suspects."

    The characters are so real and I love that given the choice, they choose what's right instead of what you know they wanted to choose. It's been a while since I watched it...I really need to again!

    Humphrey Bogart is amazing- in my opinion, one of the best actors ever. He is not the typical, hunky romantic lead, but he is super talented. And he can play many, many different roles. I recommend "Sabrina," "The Treasure of the Sierra Madre," and any of his movies with Lauren Bacall (he's pretty much at his best with her). "The Maltese Falcon" is also good, but not my favorite and a little complicated.

    ~Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  7. P.S. I'm sorry to write a book, but you should know I will anytime a classic movie is involved. :)

    ~Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  8. That movie is amazing! I loved the ending, the actors, basically everything about it I liked. I'm glad you enjoyed watching it for the first time!
    Blessings,
    Taylor

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am a older movie lover and watcher and I haven't even watch this movie yet. Time to put this movie on hold at the library...again.

    I just found your blog and it's really neat! Keep-up the good work! :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yay!! You FINALLY saw it!! :) I bet Beka's happy ;)
    Yeah, I liked the movie too...uh...I just wish the plotline was a bit different. I don't like the parts that...well...we'll talk, okay? ;)

    *hugs*
    Love ya! ♥

    ReplyDelete
  11. Her husband was AWESOME!

    Humphrey Bogart was okay.
    The girl was awful and the root problem. LOL.
    Having said that, I did like all the characters, but the girl didn't seem to have much going for her except being pretty.

    I'd like to see a movie where Bogart is NOT in love with someone else's woman... pretty please!

    Movies made during World War II that have to do with World War II are always interesting...

    ReplyDelete
  12. I actually saw this movie for the first time this week also.

    I tend to agree with you on the political side- NOT my favorite type of movie, but once it got juicy and romantic, AH. THAT'S MY AREA. ;) I loved it. She was wonderful. :)

    xoxo,
    e.

    ReplyDelete
  13. My first reaction is I don't care for Humphrey Bogart. But I recently saw something that made me look at him in a bit of a different light so I'm willing to give him another chance. Haven't seen this movie yet but have always planned to. I wonder if it's going to be like "An Affair to Remember" where I thought I wouldn't like it, but really did.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So happy you enjoyed it - this one's a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE this movie. Ingrid Bergman and Humphrey Bogart work well together, and I thought the ending was great. I totally wish people wore the same outfits as they did back then;)
    I love your blog, it's so fun.
    -Emily

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'm convinced I was born in the wrong era. I like James Dean and Paul Newman and Humphrey Bogart and Cary Grant more than the *ahem* losers of today's world.
    Anyway, I'm done. Casablanca is a wonderful movie! I watched it for the same reason you did. I read a book and the main character was obsessed with it. I was so confused that I went out and rented it before I read another line. And I loved it!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day.