Friday, April 8, 2011

one of the best days of my life


Going to the circus is on my bucket list, and I have always, always wanted to go. It's a natural, carved-in-my-soul desire, mainly owing to the fact that I watched Dumbo entirely too many times as a kid, and absolutely adored it. Especially the very beginning, when the tough, vaguely frightening men hammer tent pegs in the rain. I haven't seen it in a long, long time.

When I found out that the Jordan World Circus (all the way from Las Vegas) was coming to a town nearby, with a poster that said "lots of elephants!" I just had to go. I am crazy about elephants (again, Dumbo) and my current most-wishing-to-do-right-now thing on my bucket list is ride an elephant. With the knowledge that this might have to wait until I go to Thailand or something (which I am loathe to do).


We sat down on old wood bleachers, ate popcorn steadily and watched one of the best days of my life occur. It started out with the tigers. For my entire life, I have been deeply obsessed with big cats of all kinds. But lately the tiger calenders and photos plastered all over my wall have abated, and so I kind of forgot how awesome they were.


But that moment, my first love came rushing back. Total awe at their crazy-awesome power and contradictory grace, combined with the nearly uncontrollable urge to wrap my arms around their necks and cuddle them within an inch of their life. Plus there were three white tigers, which are rare, stunning, and my best friends. It really was all I could do to keep myself from climbing in there and kissing them all.


There were also camels. Mostly they ran around in complicated ways. And I wanted to ride them. 'Cuz that's on my bucket list, too.


During the intermission, they let everyone swarm all over. They brought out the face paint, the pony rides, the inflatable slide... and the elephants.


And then, be still my heart, they had elephant rides. I watched other people get to do it and was content enough, while also freaking out because I was this close to my dream. I mean, it was probably too expensive... I was wearing a skirt....


Then Bethany, beautiful sister-of-my-soul,


...bought me a ticket. Insert CRAZY SCREAMING HAPPY DANCE IN A LARGE CROWD.


And she said "go--live your dream". (quote from Tangled). Actually, she didn't, but if she had, it would have been hilarious.

So I squashed onto the elephant saddle thing behind the little girl with the pleasant-smelling shampoo, hoped that my skirt did not tear asunder, and was very, very happy. Two things checked off of my bucket list in one day!


There were thrilling gymnasts, tight-ropers, crazy daredevil motorcyclists in a round wire cage, and one not-too-horrifying clown. But the elephants and the tigers were quite enough to let me die entirely fulfilled.

26 comments:

  1. How awesome! Looks like you had a blast! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, that's so cool that you got to do that!

    Haha, the "go - live your dream" part made me laugh :) Love that movie!

    ~Hannah

    ReplyDelete
  3. aww!! That's so cool! i'm so happy for yoU! I wish I could have gone with you! :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. How exciting for you! =D I'm so happy that you had such an incredible time, and got to 'live your dream'! =)

    Soli Deo Gloria!
    Taylor
    http://examineallthings.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. awesome!! I once rode a camel... last Halloween, to be exact =D I was wearing a skirt as part of my costume :) interesting...;)

    Catie

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm glad your skirt did not tear asunder! ;-)
    Love this post. It oozes YOU. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Haha!!! How fun! I love the exciting, slightly dangerously feel of riding an elephant! Oh so fun!:D I want to go to the circus now!!!:)))

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow! A circus! I've been to some circus-like events but none like this. That sounds so cool! You must have really had a wonderful time. And you got to ride an elephant!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a blast! I think I went to a circus when I was really little, but unfortunately I don't remember much of it. I love tigers. :] Dumbo, however, traumatized my childhood. That movie scares me. Hehe. =)

    ReplyDelete
  10. How fun! I haven't been to the circus since I was a kid. It's so entertaining and exciting though. I should get my hubby to go on a circus date with me:-) xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  11. I want to go to a circus now - and maybe ride a elephant ;)
    Anne

    ReplyDelete
  12. How neat! :)

    Have you ever been to Wildlife Safari? My brother rode an elephant - just him - and we had our photo taken with a cheetah. It was fun. I look terrified in the photo, but whatever. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I have never been to a circus myself, we always forget, or are doing other things when they are around. It looks like it was blast, though! I love the pictures of the elephants, and the ticket. Perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  14. my family used to go to the circus every year when i was younger. i loved it! there was almost too much to take in though since it was a 3 or 5 ring circus!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome! I've never been to a real circus, but I did ride an elephant when I was little at a zoo. :)

    P.S. I busted (improper grammar, but that's what I say when I speak :) out laughing when I read the "Go: live your dream," thing. :) Completely made my day!

    ~Kristin

    ReplyDelete
  16. That looks like a ton of fun! But i'm not sure if I'd be brave enough to ride an elephant or not... :P

    ReplyDelete
  17. Lol, you are awesome! I wanna ride an elephant!

    ~Julia

    ReplyDelete
  18. Golly gee, that sounds thrilling! I wish I could go to a circus and ride an elephant! Gee whiz.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Thailand is not so bad,really. You should reconsider. The air smells of fruit and flowers and feels like velvet. The pineapple is a food group all by itself, closely related to manna - heaven food! Everyone is smiling and happy and cheerful and friendly. If there just wasn't a Buddha around every corner, it would be right next door to travel paradise. Mind you, I only spent 24hrs there and that was after spending 14 days in India, which might have something to do with my rosy memories of Bangkok. Maybe.

    ReplyDelete
  20. fun fun!! so happy for you, polka dot!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Sounds very exciting! There's a circus coming to our town, too. But I know that I won't go. It doesn't sound like something that I would enjoy that very much, but I sure hope you had fun!

    ~Emma~

    ReplyDelete
  22. Ya! Glad to read you got to ride the elephants! Sounds like it was a lot of fun! Great pics! :)

    ReplyDelete
  23. Look at you - living out your dreams!! Looks like you had a fantastic time!

    ReplyDelete
  24. "Go live your dream" Love it! Made me laugh.

    However, if you DO get to live your other dream and find yourself on a RUNAWAY camel, just hold on tight until it stops. Beleive me, I know.

    That comment will may more sense if you read this: http://everystory-storygirl.blogspot.com/2010/09/worst-case-scenario-candyland.html

    I love your blog!:)

    ReplyDelete
  25. So I'm not crazy for wanting to ride an elephant! That is a relief. :)

    An utterly fun day, it seems. I've never been to a circus but it seems like loads of fun. So vintage too:)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day.